My cat doesn't seem to be getting better from a cat bite?????

My cat got into fight with another cat 7 days ago and was bitten several times. I didn't realize he was injured becasue I couldn't see anything (puncture wounds) nor was he acting any differently. The next morning he was not himself and cried when I touched him. I took him to the vet and he was given antibiotics and pain medication. He seemed to be getting a little better but now is more lethargic. I took him back to the vet last night and they gave him fluid since he isn't interested in eating or drinking and additional antibiotics and pain meds. He also developed (yesterday) a brushburn like sore outside of his one nostril and they thought it might be an upper respiratory infection and I also got medication for that. Am I missing something? Is the vet. I do have another cat and he doesn't want to be anywhere around her so I have separated them. Has anyone experienced their cat being lethargic for what seems to be too long after an injury or trauma. Not sure what else to do.

Asked by Member 1122513 on Jul 25th 2012 in Other Health & Wellness

Answers

I'm sorry about your cat. It is possible that the antibiotics could be making him lethargic. Antibiotics can certainly have that affect on people. Maybe you should take him to a new vet and have him looked at by a fresh pair of eyes.

WebMD has a really comprehensive pet health section. Try looking for some answers there.

Hope your cat feels better.

pets.webmd.com

Boo

Poor kitty! I'm so sorry this happened! Can I ask if they did anything with the wounds? Lanced, cleaned, etc. Bite wounds are nasty little things. Teeth are tiny needles covered with bacteria just waiting to be deposited under the skin! It can create a nasty infection.
There may be another underlying issue here that you or your Veterinarian haven't found. Feel around his body (gently) and see if you feel any lumps or bumps. Give him a good look over. Feel down his fore and hind limbs and gently bend them as you go. This is all IF he will let you. Do not push this either. If he doesn't want to let you, don't force it, but take note of when and how he let you know it was too much. I'd seek another opinion and possibly do some further diagnostics.

Since it is bite wounds, you may want him to have a FIV/Feleuk test done.

Boo answered on 7/25/12. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

Jack

Call different vets and ask around.Also if that doesn't work then take him to an emergency animal hospital and ask them if its and emergency.

Jack answered on 7/25/12. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

Batfink

Aww poor kitty! sounds as though hes having a tough time of it lately! Good for you for acting quickly and getting him to the vet!
There is a possibility your vet has missed something, and i agree with Boo he should definatlely have blood tests for FIV etc if he hasnt had them already.Keep your vet up to date over the phone and make sure you report any changes.
It sounds as though kitty is a bit doped up, and probably, a bit Sad and Tender, usually males that ive known go into a quiet insecure phase after being in a bad fight, he probably doesnt want other cats about because he feels a bit weak and helpless. Cats are such proud creatures,they hate feeling helpless, if everything checks out with the vet , but you are still worried , feel free to get a second opinion as Member 1122521 says. It may take a while for him to feel better, give him some cuddles, and a brush (he wont feel like cleaning himself) and continue to be a brilliant cat companion. hope you are all well xx

Batfink answered on 7/25/12. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 1 Report this answer