Hazel Basil

My cat doesn't respond to cat nip is that normal?

My cat Hazel does not seem to care much for catnip. I've purchased at catnip spray, toys, and just plain old cat nip and she isn't interested at all. Has anyone else experienced that? Is she really abnormal for not responding? Just wondering!

Asked by Hazel Basil on Jan 8th 2012 Tagged catnip, noresponse in Behavior & Training

Answers

Absolutely not! And at different times, the same cat can have totally different responses to the nip. Sometimes, Izzie will act like a kitten when I use it and once, he attacked Delilah. It was a good long time before I used it again. Now, he's fine. Izzie is crazy for nip, Lizzie is sort of, and Delilah could care less. If I want to give my cats a treat, in the summer I grow catgrass outside. You can get catnip, wheatgrass, clover,or seeds just generically called "catgrass" from garden centers, or the "primo" stuff from www.citycatsbiz.com. or other online stores. If the plants look good at Petsmart, I'll occasionally get it there. Be forewarned though, it does come back up. In a hurry. So be prepared with paper towels. All 3 of mine are fairly long-haired so it helps with ejecting fur balls. Don't worry about HB...she's fine!!!

Catnip doesn't affect all cats. Not all cats like or respond to it, so Hazel is perfectly normal.

Its normal not all cats are bonkers for catnip.