My cat doesn't purr?

I mean, he purrs, i guess, but i can barely hear him! He's healthy ( i took him to the vet ). Also, he's not so into cuddling. He is an indoor cat, he's not aggressive. Do you think that there's sth wrong with him, or is it just his personality?

Asked by Member 642623 on Jun 11th 2008 in Other Behavior & Training

Best Answer

~*Mrvica*~

If you took your cat to the vet and the vet said it's ok, well there's nothing to be worried about, i mean - cats are like humans - one human loud other quiet - one likes being in a "spotlight" other don't etc. So, you're cat is simply a bit shy when it comes at purring.

~*Mrvica*~ answered on Jun 14th.

Answers

If you've taken your baby to the vet and gotten a clean bill of health (including blood tests, etc.) then this is just his personality. My Ernie purrs so softly I can barely hear him. Delilah and Izzie purr so loudly that I can hear them from across the room. Ernie and Izzie (my boys) LOVE to cuddle (on THEIR terms, of course) but Delilah has NEVER sat in my lap and I've had her for a year. She will actually growl if I pick her up and she's not 'feelin' it' at the moment. Cats have to be accepted on their own terms. That's why I have a sign on my wall that says "The cats and their staff live here."

Oscar J. doesn't purr very loudly nor is he a lap cat. Very social, very affectionate, but he's really not into the whole sitting in your lap thing. I'd chalk it up to personality. We train dogs. Cats train us. :D

Sergei

Sergei purrs, but i have to put my ear sooo close to him to hear him. And, also, he's not a "lap cat" either. But, than again, when sth "switches" in him - he is the most cuddliest cat on the world. So, you see, there's a lot cats that don't purr so loudly or like to cuddle. Just his personality...

Sergei answered on 6/11/08. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

Philbert

Agreed! my Roomies cat Clawdia purrs so loud sometimes I can't sleep when shes sleeping by my head. Phil doesn't purr loud at all and I usually can only tell he's purring if i have my hand on his chest, or if his mouth is open..cause it sounds like a snorty purry throat grumble :-)

Philbert answered on 6/11/08. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer