My 7 Week old kittens belly feels swollen/bloated

This is my first experience with raising a kitten. I rescued a 6 week old orphan kitten last week she was about to run out onto a busy street and I was able to get her before she did. Took her right to the vet to get examined. For the first few days I had her she would only drink KMR and water. 2 days ago she finally started eating. I am feeding her small portions of Wellness kitten formula 3-4 times a day. She runs to the food, eats all of it, is very active, uses the litter box regularly. Now here is the problem, I noticed her stomach has been very swollen/ bloated. I took her to the vet yesterday, she was given another dewormer and sent home. Her stomach is still bloated, doesn't seem to have changed at all. Any thoughts of what this could be? I'm very worried :(

Asked by Member 1168016 on Apr 30th 2013 in Kittens

Answers

I'm sure that you took a stool sample in so that the vet could give you the right drug for the kinds of worms that she had? The wormer kills the live worms right away, but you may not see any in the stool. With kittens though it usually takes more than one round of worming to get rid of all the worms - they should have another dose two weeks from the first one (that's the life cycle of the worms - eggs to live worms in two weeks). It may take a couple of days though for her to pass all of the worms, but if she's still bloated by now, it surely wouldn't hurt to check with the vet if you haven't already. And bless you for saving this baby!