My 1 year old cat cannot walk with her hind leg.

Hi, I found a cat busa few months ago, her backbone(4th,lomb) is fractured she pee & poo on herself. After several vets, I took her to an animal acupunturist & she seem to be reacting to the treatment. Now Busa knows when she need to poo/pee, she will struggle to the sandbox. peeing is a HUGE challenge so, I still express her bladder. She seem to have more feeling on her hind legs but can't walk. She tries moving her hind legs at times. Her acupunture treatment is over, she is much,much better with no pain. She plays 29hrs/day but at times she seems down cos she seem to know of her disability.
I was taught physiotherapy for Busa to build her hind legs muscle but her progress is slow,is there any way I can speed up her progress.Is this the best she can get. I would like to improve her life.
thanks

Asked by Member 1092370 on May 20th 2012 in The Catster Website

Answers

You have put an extraordinary amount of time, effort and love into rehabilitating Busa. It's good to hear that she is making progress. Since you've seen so many specialists and vets, there probably isn't anything you can do to speed up her recovery, and at some point, you may need to realize that she will stay at whatever level she's at. To me, it sounds like she has a very loving owner and a good home. She will require a lifetime of special care. God bless you for caring about this little angel and best of luck!

The former poster is absolutely right! I can attest because I once owned a cat with hind-leg weakness. I didn't do nearly what you have done, but this kitty lived 11-1/2 years with my help. She also had an inherited eye disease which caused progressive blindness. I would just keep performing the physiotherapy on Busa and to keep building those hind leg muscles. Whatever you do, don't let her outdoors. Always keep her safe and monitor her around steps and stairs. Best of luck to you and Busa. God bless you both!