My 12 year old cat is breathing rapidly and strangely.

I have been monitoring her for a few days now and my fiancee' thinks she is fine, but I do not. Her nose is going from hot to cold, she is sleeping in the same spot and is hiding in unusual areas she doesn't go in. Her gums are pale. When she breathes, her stomach moves as well as her chest, but as her chest goes up her stomach goes down. As her chest goes down her stomach goes up. I won't lie, I don't think I can afford to see a vet with her. I will if I have to, but I can't spend the extra unless I know it is serious. I have had her since she was a kitten and is very special to me. Please help.

Asked by Member 1135390 on Oct 11th 2012 Tagged breathing, strange, sleepy in Senior Pet

Answers

Joey

We are not vets here - just fellow cat owners. Your kitty is in distress - please take her to the vet. Most vets will work with you if you are upfront with them - ask them to only run necessary tests - and they may offer a credit program. Please take your baby to the vet as soon as possible.

Joey answered on 10/11/12. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

You are describing what was happening to my 12 yr old cat last month. Took her to the vet and the vet diagnosed congestive heart failure. My cat's lungs were filling up with fluids making it hard for her to breathe. She needed emergency treatment which would involve life long treatment and careful monitoring. Of course it would be expensive. My vet suggested euthanasia since my cat was clearly suffering, so that's what I did.