Heely

Milk Ring - Friend or Deadly Foe?!

I read all the time that rubber bands are dangerous for cats but what about milk rings?

For quite a while now, It's been quite an amusing moment to see the kitties go nuts when I drop a milk ring on the floor.

I have never had a kitty that would not play with a milk ring alone or even in a group but is this safe for them?

A milk ring shouldn't be big enough to swallow but can they hurt themselves some other way?
I've never had anyone get hurt but I tend to watch them while they play.
And will they associate my giving them milk rings with it being ok to play with other bottle rings that ARE small enough to choke on?

Better yet, is there a cat-safe toy I can buy that will be similar for their playing but not be a potential harm for the kitties?

Asked by Heely on Jul 7th 2011 in Toys

Answers

Izzie plays with milk rings all the time. He also plays with the plastic caps from soda bottles. If you go to the pet store, you will see many toys that look suspiciously like things you have around the house which they sell for very high prices. If your kitties love to play with these sorts of things, I would suggest that you continue to supervise them. Make sure your home is "cat-safe", that there are no live plants around which could be poisonous to them (ask your vet for a list), no cords includng venetian blind and shade cords as well as electrical cords. Use your common sense and supervise your cats. If something they're doing doesn't look safe, remove the toy and play with them with a "safe one".

Tup Tim

Hate to say it, but the plastic rings from milk containers are dangerous for cats to play with.
Several years ago my mom's cat was acting "not quite right" so we took her into the ER. She had a bowel obstruction from chewing on and swallowing parts of the plastic milk container rings. Fortunately they were able to clear the obstruction without surgery, but it was quite costly nonetheless.
My advice? find other toys for your cat - there are plenty of cat safe toys available.

Tup Tim answered on 7/9/11. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer