making kitty nicer

my cat, a seven y/o calico tabby, has some serious tempermental issues. my family wants to bring a puppy into our house, but whenever Mischief (our cat) sees a another cat outside, she goes psycho, and really nasty. we are worried that if we got a dog, our cat would hurt it. does anyone have a sudgstion to make our cat nicer or even just civilized toward other pets???

Asked by Member 1134802 on Oct 8th 2012 Tagged training, mean, puppy, agression, cat, nasty in Aggression

Answers

By this age, Mischief is pretty set in her ways. Cats don't see cats as cats and dogs as dogs. All they know is someone is invading their territory. Most cats, when they see another outside, will become very vocal and upset. Some cats (males and females) will even begin to spray mark in the house. I would not look for Mischief to become BFF's with the dog. I have one dog whom my cats absolutely love and one dog they totally avoid. I am watchful and when the dog chases the cats, she gets sprayed with a water bottle. Worst case scenario is that Mischief will aggressively attack the dog without provocation. I forsee a lot of hissing and growling and also the dog learning eventually that Mischief is to be left alone. Lily Rose only had to get Jessie on the nose once and she left her alone ever after that. Make sure Mischief has plenty of hiding places to get away from the pup. Do not let the pup harrass her in any way. Don't spend your life shouting at them, but do ask your vet for advice.