Loose Stool Outside Of Box

I recently had a problem with my fixed 6 year old DLH pooping outside of the litter. I removed the hood on the box and that seems to have fixed that problem however there was an accident outside the box this morning. The stool had NO mucus or blood and was only partially runny. Is this something that should alarm me or are cats like dogs and can get upset tummy occasionally? He is eating and drinking fine and seems to be in no discomfort.

Asked by Member 1145159 on Feb 8th 2013 Tagged loosestool in Other Health & Wellness

Answers

An occasional loose stool is not cause for immediate alarm. You are right, animals can suffer from loose stools just like humans. When the stools become frequent (like twice an hour or more) and you find spots through your house where he possibly didn't make it to the box, then you need to phone the vet. When this happens to my animals, I try to get a tablespoon or so of plain yogurt into them. It sometimes helps and in that amount it won't hurt them. Simon may also need a little more fiber in his food and a vet once suggested a weight-control food for that. But don't tinker with his diet until you're sure there's a problem and then only on the advice of his doc. Purrs!