Little cat syndrome?

I have this little cat.. she looks less than a year old shes so small, but is about 4. I am working on getting her to a vet, but there are complications so I can't do it as quickly as I would like. When I first got her, she was scared of my 3 other cats, and would hide in the bedroom, sometimes pee in a corner, and poop in my tub. Now she is fine to wander out into the other rooms, but will often run up to the other cats and pick a fight with them for no reason, and they randomly do the same thing to her. They are all females and she is not fixed. Could that be why? Or is she just angry because she is so small? 2 of my other cats sometimes corner her in the litter box or wherever, and I worry about what goes on when I am not home. She is fine with me most of the time, but doesn't like other people much, and will often get mad at me or someone else and hiss and yell at us. She is super quiet unless angry and then she will let you know. I've had her for 3 years, don't know what to do :(

Asked by Member 1042294 on Jul 25th 2011 Tagged socialization in Aggression

Answers

The fact that your 4 year old kitty is not spayed - is the biggest issue indeed.
I would say that her size has nothing to do with her behavior - that is from my own experience.

I also have an adult female cat (spayed) who is so very tiny! She also will run up to other cats and engage then in play, and they participate, but not rough.
She got every cat love her and is able to cuddle up to any of them and be groomed by them.
Small cats find their clever ways around size disadvantages.

But you absolutely have to spay your kitty ASAP whilst she is still young.

When queens come on-heat - they might really cause your other cats some grieve with their behavior and be unhappy themselves if they are inside only and not able to mate.
She also could manage to run off, and later bring you kittens, which perhaps your other cats will not be pleased about.

In some shelters they help with spaying, even if people have no money and/or time. You could just phone them and they help.

Destiny Rose

I agree that her being intact is probably the source of the problem. She smells different and has hormones racing around that the spayed girls do not have. Spayed cats live longer healthier lives and it eliminates the possibility of some cancers and of pyometra so it is the best thing for her. Please do this as soon as you can and I believe the family dynamics will change for the better. I have 9 spayed females and while my little Destiny is only 5 pounds nobody picks on her and they all live their lives in harmony with just a few little spats here and there. Even Maggie who is 13 pounds never picks on the smaller cats just for being small. When they do spat, it's never anybody ganging up on one or cornering her. They just have a little swat fest and then go on about their business.

Destiny Rose answered on 7/26/11. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 1 Report this answer

Toby

I definitely suggest getting your kitty fixed. This should help out with everyone's behavior as your other cats won't be so concerned with how different she acts and smells and she will be less moody and ill tempered.
Places like SNAP will fix pets for less than a regular vet if money is part of your complications with this matter.

If you take your little one to the vet, discuss her behavior with them and once you get her fixed, she is still aggressive after the time the vet thinks her behavior should have improved, you might try something like Feli-Way plug-in that will emit calming pheromones to help everyone stay a little calmer or a calming collar for the little one.

Also, her being small may not affect your other cats but it can be somewhat of a complex for her.
I have not yet figured out how to explain to a kitty that she is vertically challenged, not short but extra lovins should help.

Try cuddling more often when she isn't in a spitting mood.

Good luck and purrs

Toby answered on 7/26/11. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 1 Report this answer