life expendency of a snowshoe

Been wondering what the normal life expectancy of a snowshoe. She has asthma and thyroid disease. I am a low income widow and have already spent nearly $900. I have had her for nearly 13 years now. She was only 4 weeks old when I got her, and we are very close, talk together and lots of other things. Lately, she just looks at me with this vacant stare and is getting very ouchy and has bite me badly a couple of times. I have been thinking of putting her down. It will hurt me badly as a child passing. I have seen a vet and wants to see her every 3 months and does eat a special diet. Not that she eats it very well. I have not talked to the vet about putting her down. That is my personal feeling, I don't want her uncomfortable. I have put another cat down for having cancer. Thank you.

Asked by Member 1153667 on Feb 4th 2013 in Food & Nutrition

Answers

As wonderful as it is to have the company of an animal, it's just as difficult to have to make the decision to let them go. I know. I've done more than a few times and having 2 senior dogs and a senior cat, will be facing it again. Unfortunately, no one can make this decision for you. You know your kitty better than anyone else and you know when things are declining with her. My mom always says that letting them go is the kindest thing we can do for them when we know their quality of life has declined. We and your vet can advise, but ultimately, the decision to let her go is up to you. You should not feel guilty or that you've "failed" her and you should not question your decision once you've made it. Make it with the counselling of your vet. That's what they are there for. God bless the 2 of you. We will keep you in our thoughts and prayers.