Elise

Klingon attack!

My Maine Coons range from the slightly shaggy to the almost shorthaired. Recently, Elise, poor girl, who has the usual pattern of (purebred, not naturally occurring Maine Coons) short hair on her body, but voluminous "britches," has gotten Klingons around her, ah, privates, and on one of her legs. Honestly, this is the first time this has ever happened to me. Harvery, who is the shaggiest, has never had this problem. One of my cats--I think it was Currier, had a Klingon problem which I solved with scissors, but yup, I managed to nick her. Not to mention that Elise is obviously frustrated by her Klingons, but not cooperative when I try to deal with them. Yes, the standard advice is vet or groomer, but I don't know a cat groomer. I think she needs a shampoo--and I know a lot about ordinary shampoos--but how can you get Klingons off with a shampoo? Yes yes, I know about metal combs. How this happened, I don't know. In the future, I will keep her hind area trimmed.

Asked by Elise on Jan 27th 2010 in Home Grooming

Answers

This is very common with my Persians (they even have a bottom bath section in the care book I bought so it's just a fact of life with poofy britches) I can sympathize on the danger of nicking with scissors because I did it to Bailey 2 years ago and learned my lesson for life. I just fill a basin with a couple of inches of warm water, stick their butt in it and swish it around with any shampoo using my bare hands to remove the poop. They don't particularly like it but since it's not the whole cat in the water, they are ok. Except Kira who hacks the daylights out of me with her claws trying to climb up and over to get away. When it's solid klingons, the easiest thing to do is get a buddy to hold the cat and I use the tiniest round tipped scissors VERY CAREFULLY to get it off. You're good as long as you don't pull on the skin and make that little skin tent and hack into them. I try to put my fingers between the scissors and the skin, cutting above my fingers.

Allie's right. I have the same problem with Delilah. I'm a dirty stinker because when she lays on my lap, I use a tissue to grasp the--uh--"klingon" and pull it off like a bandaid, quickly and without hesitation. Now, if it's a large klingon and there's danger of actually ripping the fur out of her skin, I do what Allie does. They come off easier when soaked. Since you have indicated you have some difficulty when bathing your crew, I might be tempted to use a baby wipe.