Kittens trying to eat non-edibles! Help!

My kittens are 6 months old (and possibly teething, since I found 4 lost baby teeth last week), but they are still trying to eat *everything*! One jumped up onto a counter and tried to eat a thumb tack recently, and the other wrapped himself up in my yarn within seconds! I don't mind cleaning up after them, but I worry for their health if they're trying to eat non-edible (and sometimes sharp!) things... I've been told it's ok to let them roam my house unsupervised at this point, but I don't feel like I can if they keep getting into things that could hurt them. :( When can I trust them not to get into things that could be dangerous to them? (And yep, I put the thumbtacks even *farther* out of their reach...) I'm sure at least part of this answer is that I need to do a better job of kitty-proofing my house...but I thought I had already done that. !?!

Asked by Member 1140346 on Feb 26th 2013 Tagged chewing, eating, training, behavior, safety in Behavior & Training

Answers

Uno

Kittens & puppies too, are very much like toddlers, able to get into everything, teething & wanting to chew on everything & too young to know better about what is safe & what is dangerous. Most kittens finish teething at approximately 8 to 9 months of age. Until then you need to kitten proof your house just like you'd childproof your house for a 1 to 2 year old human child.

There's nothing at all wrong with locking your kittens in an extra large plastic dog crate or a bathroom or other kitten-proofed room when you can't supervise them & only letting them run the entire house with supervision. If you elect to do this, when it's time to put your kittens back in their crate or room take a bit of canned food and give it to them in their room. This will teach them to expect something positive when you put them in their crate or room, making them more willing to come when its time to get locked up again.

Uno answered on 3/6/13. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 1 Report this answer