Kittens not cuddly? :(

I have three kittens that I raised (with the help of their mama cat), and although I picked them up and played with them and groomed them from the very beginning, they don't really want to cuddle with me. :(

I see pictures of young kittens snuggled up with their humans, but my cats run from me instead! They come when I feed them, they'll play with me (with a laser or fishing rod toy), and sometimes when they're calm they'll let me pick them up for a while - one of the three more than the others - but they don't sit with me or let me hold them on my lap. (I hold them for grooming, but they also get treats when we're done.)

Is this normal for kittens their age (they're almost 19 weeks)? Any tips on how to get them to be more cuddly/friendly?

Asked by Member 1140346 on Jan 9th 2013 Tagged kittens, cuddling, socialization in Socialization

Answers

Just be patient. They have each other for comfort and play right now. I got a kitten at 8 weeks old who hated me for months, wouldn't let me near her (she wasn't well-socialized). At 8 months old she started sitting on my ankles when I lay on the couch, then gradually made her way into my lap. She eventually became very affectionate, though she never liked being picked up. Just don't force them to do anything they don't want to do.

Psy

It is very normal for kittens their age to want to play more than cuddle. Most kittens will calm down and become more cuddly as they get older. At this point don't force them to cuddle that will just teach them to avoid you. When they do sit with always let it be on their terms so they don't feel like you'll trap them every time they come to you.

Psy answered on 1/9/13. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 1 Report this answer