Kitten wormer

I have a two week old kitten and a vet prescribed wormer for it, even though they saw no worms in a stool sample. This might be a dumb question but I am hesitant at such a young age to give him this. But at the same time, the kitten has diarrhea that smells pretty horrible, and I've read that can often be caused by parasites such as worms. I'm torn and worried for his health. :(

Asked by Member 1089129 on May 6th 2013 Tagged kitten, wormer, diarrhea in Medications

Answers

Honestly, I am very hesitant to agree to worm a kitten so young. When I was doing animal rescue work, we tried not to worm any animals under 3 weeks of age. I know that the majority of newborn kittens and puppies do have a parasitic infection of some sort and that could be causing the noxious diarrhea. The kitten should still be nursing every few hours by you via eye dropped or by mom if she's available and not being fed solid food of any kind. The diarrhea concerns me a lot. A kitten that young who has diarrhea will not survive more than a few days with it. In my humble opinion, if he were my kitten, I'd be tempted to take him back to the vet and ask for more advice and direction. Or, get a second opinion from another vet. You can also contact your local animal shelter and ask for their advice on caring for newborn kittens. Whatever you do, you need to act QUICKLY, even to the point of finding an emergency clinic. Even if he seems "OK" now, he will crash fast.