Kitten with curved in front legs at the ankle

My sister cat(1 yr old) had a little of 7 kittens this summer. All of the kittens except one were double pawed (the mother is as well). One of the kittens(double pawed) has legs that seem to drastically curve in at the ankle....she runs and plays fine like a normal kitten just walks more so on her ankles/side of her ankle/foot.... does anyone have and idea what this condition is or anything about it?? i have pictures if needed..... one picture link is here i910.photobucket.com

Asked by Member 1138505 on Oct 31st 2012 in Other Health & Wellness

Answers

If by "double-pawed" you mean she has an extra toe, that's called "polydactal" and these cats are known as "Hemingway Cats" since the author had dozens of them running feral on his estate in Florida. This is not really a birth defect and lots of people want polydactal cats because they are considered unusual. What you describe the kitten as doing could be from a birth defect or even birth injury. She probably does overcome it well enough since animals can accustom themselves to just about anything. But, as the owner of a disabled dog who only has the use of 3 of her legs, I would advise you to ask the vet if they think the baby should be treated in any way. They may even want to cast her foot while she's young to help it grow straighter. I've always kept an eye on my dog, who's now 9 yrs old, to make sure she isn't limping more or in pain from arthritis as she ages.