Leopold

Kitten with a feral mother?

I've made arrangements with a small rescue group to adopt a small black kitten from a litter they rescued with their feral mama. The mamacat is feral, and they've moved foster homes, but they rescued the litter when the kittens were only 4 days old. As it stands right now, they just moved foster homes 2 days ago while the kittens were about 3 weeks old and they've been taking all precautions to not stress the Queen.

I imagine the foster families have been handling the kittens and socializing them, although I don't know that for a fact. I'm also scheduled to visit the kittens in another 2 weeks once they're about 5 weeks old.

What I'm curious about is if the kittens will adopt any feral tendencies or behavioral traits from their mother. Any answers or suggestions would be great! Thank you!

Asked by Leopold on May 14th 2013 Tagged kitten, feral, behavior in Kittens

Answers

I have seen it go both ways but since the kittens were so young when they went into foster, they should be ok. The kittens "listen" to mamma when out in the wild and coming in contact with humans. It depends whether the momma cat trusts humans. But the kittens should be ok especially since the foster parents are socalizing them. I have actually found that males trust quicker than females.

Moving a Queen with her kittens is stressful on even a domesticated cat. Hopefully this rescue has someone on board who is knowledgeable in handling nursing moms and also ferals. That would be ideal. My daughter has a cat who was born to a feral mom. Bailey is actually a very loving guy, but he keeps to himself and is not a lapcat. He's around 8 or 9 now and his personality really hasn't changed over the years. My Izzie was also born outside to a stray but not feral mother. He is a social, inquisitive brat who picks and chooses the people he deigns to befriend. A lot of how your new baby will grow up depends on early experiences, yes, but most of it depends on how you, as his/her new mom, socializes him/her. Get a vet on board now and speak with them about the best way to raise a social, well-adapted kitty. Good luck and post pictures when you can. We LOVE baby pix!!!