Kitten pees, but doesn't poop in litter box?

I just got an 8-week-old healthy kitten as an early birthday present. Zoe is a champ at eating (although she growls when she eats canned food -- hilarious!) and she's very loving and playful. My 2-year-old neutered male cat even loves on her like he's her mother! He cleans her and plays with her and is hardly ever aggressive. However, this is where the good ends and the bad begins, so to speak.

She has some issues with her litter box. She can get in and out of it just fine, and she has no problem peeing in it. However, she thinks her place to poop is under my bed's headboard. I've tried cleaning under there numerous times, but she still poops under there. The past two times (after a friend recommended it to me), I have taken her accidents, shown them to her on toilet paper, then dumped them in her litter box. She jumps right in, pees, buries the pee, then buries the poop...odd, right? I clean the boxes every day 2-3 times a day, so I know that's not a problem.

Can anyone please help?

Asked by Member 1000289 on Aug 11th 2010 Tagged litterboxtraining, zoe, kitten, weeksold, female, accidents, poop, pee in Litter Box Training

Answers

I am wondering where your litterbox is? Is it private enough? It seems like under your headboard is a safe, secure, hidden place. Cats bury poop because of their instinct to hide it to prevent predators from finding evidence of them. She may be dredging up a primal instinct to poo safely and feels your litterbox is not safe. Good idea about showing it to her and putting it in the box though! If your litterbox is open, try a covered box. My cats pee in my open box but all of them poo in the covered ones. You might also try taking away her access to your bedroom until she gets it right. Is there a room where you could confine her with the litterbox for a few days (without making her miserable) just so she can not go under the bed and may get the idea of the correct place to go. When my Bailey was 8 weeks she was so tiny she couldn't make it upstairs when she really had to go. I had to put a litterbox in the corner of the living room until she learned to go in the right place.

Queenie

One of my cats would not squat to urinate, but crouched to poop. Especially for kittens, which are very small and uncoordinated, they may accidentally bump into the cat litter. Coming into contact with the cat litter may deter the kitten from using the litter box to poop. I would limit access to your bedroom as previously suggested, and if that does not work then move the litter box to the bedroom as a reminder for the kitten. Having a litter box in the bedroom is not desired, but if it is cleaned properly there should be no issues for members of your household. If all else fails, consider changing the litter.

Queenie answered on 8/12/10. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer