Carrot

Kim Kardashian picture - it is wrong?

There has been a lot of controversy about a picture seen here shar.es that Kim Kardashian posted showing her holding a cat by the scruff of it's neck. Mom doesn't like the picture and thinks the kitty needs more support. But others are telling her the cat wasn't in pain, and it's fine to hold them that way. We want to know what you think.

Asked by Carrot on Apr 20th 2010 in News & Events

Answers

Harvey

I've never heard of KK, but then, I don't have a TV. Catster is currenty holding a poll on the topic, and a majority of Catsters seem to think that holding a cat by the scruff of its neck is okay. A brief Internet search was a bit confusing and turned up contradictory answers. Some sites say it's okay for a kitten but can injure an adult, some say that it's okay if you support the cat's back legs, PETA condemns it (but we all know that PETA kills cats in its "euthanasia vans"), and some people just say "Eeew." I think KK looks like she doesn't know much about cats. Scruffing a cat when it's on the ground is an effective way of disciplining it, and one site points out that it may be an effective way of picking up a hostile cat, but the few times I've attempted it, I've found that it seemed cruel and unnatural. I would say that there's no reason to hold a compliant cat that way. Reminds me of Michael Jackson holding his baby out the hotel window. Dumb.

Harvey answered on 4/20/10. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

♥ Tasha ♥

Yeah, I saw it yesterday~ made me cringe.

♥ Tasha ♥ answered on 4/21/10. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

Cats don't like to be held that way. It makes them feel unsafe and "out-of-control" since their body is just hanging there. Unless the cat was sedated for the photo, I can guarantee you that in a few seconds the cat would have reacted by twisting and clawing at KK's face. One can only hope that's what happened...

Luke

i personally dont find anything wrong with it, due to thats how you r suspose hold a cat, and thats hoe the mothers do it. sure wearing fur on the other hand is gross. its bad enough that humans are the only ones that kill for pleasure ! and killing an extinct animal for fur is even more wrong !!

Luke answered on 4/22/10. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer