Just had kittens. Losing hair around her nipples. Is this normal?

I just took this cat in about a month ago. I had an appointment with the Vet. Went home to get her and found kittens. I cannot take her to the vet until she's done nursing now. The vet (understandably) does not want to give me any answers because he's never seen her before. I've never had a female cat, let alone a pregnant/Mama cat before. I'm not really sure what I should be worried about. Help please!

Asked by Member 1151269 on Jan 21st 2013 Tagged hairloss in Health & Safety

Answers

OK, First, you need to find another vet. Just because your cat is a new patient of this vet's, I call his ethics into questions for refusing to speak with you about her. Losing fur is not horribly abnormal. It takes a huge amount of energy and everything else out of the mama not only to produce the kittens but then to produce food for them. If she's not already, she should be on kitten food, wet and dry. It has the extra ingredients she needs to nurse and keep herself healthy and functioning. I would find a good shelter or rescue in your area and call them. Their vets are used to dealing with "queens" (mama cats) in discouragingly high numbers and can not only give you advice on what to do about her but when the times comes, can give you a discount on spaying her. They can also advise you, if they suggest examining her (which might not be such a bad idea since you didn't know she was pregnant)they can also advise you on how to go about bringing her in with the babies.

Righty

It's perfectly normal for a mother cat (and most other mammal mothers) to lose hair around the nipples when they have kittens. In fact most mother mammals lose a good bit of their coat overall while raising babies. That's natures way of making sure the area around the nipples will stay cleaner and the kittens will be able to get to the nipples easier without having to battle their way through hair. Breeders of cats such as Persians usually have a mother cat's hair cut short right before she gives birth so the kittens won't get tangled up in the mother's hair trying to find their way to the nipples.

Righty answered on 2/1/13. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer