Is yogurt good for my Cat?

My husband has started giving our cat a little of his yogurt on the back of the spoon. I think it is usually Strawberry. She eats it like ice cream. She is a Ragdoll and weighs about 17lbs. She is a long hair large cat.

Asked by Member 660097 on Feb 10th 2012 in Food & Nutrition

Answers

Although most cats are lactose intolerant and have trouble processing milk, since yogurt is cultured, it is usually well tolerated by cats, and many cats like it. I usually let mine have a lick or two and no one has had any problems. If your cat develops diarrhea or becomes constipated, then you know she isn't processing the yogurt well. However, I only eat plain, unsweetened yogurt. At tiny bit of sugar now and then may not be a big problem (although better without), but I wonder about the strawberry flavoring. In any event, limit this treat to a few licks every once in a while, and if you see any signs of gastric upset, cease.

Cali

As long as it's simple unflavored or fruity yogurt with no chocolate chunks, nuts, or artificial sweeteners and you keep it under a spoonful a day it's a reasonably healthy little treat for a cat; certainly better than indulging in ice cream. Just remember that it's a treat and not nutritionally complete enough to be a major part of her diet.

Cali answered on 2/11/12. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer