Willow

Is Willow a Maine Coon Mix?

We got Willow about 2 months ago from a friend. It was said that Willow's mother is a Maine Coon. However, we always wondered if that is true or not. It doesn't really matter, we love her regardless. But we are curious (especially my boyfriend who wants Willow to grow as big as a Maine Coon, lol). Willow is really long for her age. She is vocal and constantly talking to us, NON-STOP. She follows me from room to room... If she wants to play, she will drag her toy around to us, dropping it by our feet and then meowing at us! And sometimes she will play fetch.. How do we figure out if she is a Maine Coon mix? Does she look like one?

Asked by Willow on Jan 10th 2013 in Breeds

Answers

Without papers proving her heritage, it's impossible to tell exactly what breed Willow is. Izzie is a Maine Coon mix, as identified by my vet, and he is a long cat, sleek and muscular and weighs about 17lbs. However, Lizzie was also identified by a Maine Coon breeder and she is tiny. Willow certainly exhibits the "dog-like" behavior that many Maine Coons show, but without a crystal ball, it's impossible to tell exactly what she is. When I asked my vet how big Izzie would get, she told me, "As big as he wants!" Just so you know, over-feeding Willow will not result in a larger cat--just a fatter one. Willow will grow up to be exactly the way she was destined to be. I would unconditionally love Izzie no matter what he looked like. Bigger cats are cool, but tiny ones are just as loveable!