HutChi

Is what the vet recommend always good?

My mami was doing a lot of research on food (dry & wet) in order to know what to give us for our best. She told me that there are a lot of people (even experts) saying that a lot of ingredients such as grain, rice, gluten meal, meat by-products, etc, do no good for us but only to make money. So Mami bought a pack of grain free and without by-products dry (Taste of the wild) and wet food (Wellness grain free, we LOVE it!) for them. But yesterday I went to my vet for shots, and Mami asked the vet about suggestions on dry food. She recommended the food that they have (Royal Canin, Medi-Cal, Vet Exclusive) to me. Mami looked into the ingredients, it has grain, gluten meal and chicken by-products. Mami told them that people on the internet said that those ingredients aren't good for us, but she disagree with Mami. So, which one is true? Thanks! (Pardon my bad english)

Asked by HutChi on May 17th 2012 Tagged vetexclusive, dryfood, grainfree, gluten, byproduct in Pet Food

Answers

Veterinarians sometimes don't much training on nutrition, and what they do get is often just from the pet food company representatives. So I wouldn't necessarily go by what a vet recommends for everyday food. catinfo.org has very good information about what to feed cats.

Nathaniel

Cats get the majority of their nutrients from proteins and fats, specifically from meat (they're very much carnivores). Foods high in grain and carbohydrates can cause cats to eat more because they aren't getting the nutrients they actually need. Look for foods that list meats like chicken (and not just by-product) among the first ingredients. Wet foods are an important part of a cat's diet because they get a lot of their water from the moisture in it.

In this case, it sounds as if the vet is trying to make a sale. I would follow the advice you were already going with.

Nathaniel answered on 5/18/12. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

Ramsey

Many vets do not get a great deal of nutritional training and some will rely upon their vendors to make suggestions for them. Many vets take it upon themselves to do some self education on the issue.

Cats are obligate carnivores. This is not saying an all kibble diet will harm the cat but it is not the first choice of many cat owners. Cats are not wired to drink from a water bowl like dogs are. Cats rely upon the majority of their moisture intake from a wet food. This is not saying a high quality, all kibble diet is necessarily bad for a cat because it's not if the cat is drinking plenty of water and is not overweight. Kibble is calorie/carb dense which can lead to obesity and a plethora of health issues in the long run. If the cat is on an all kibble diet and not drinking enough water, many problems can ensue. The most common being UTIs.

In the long run, you need to do what you feel best and what your budget allows. My cats are thriving upon an 80%wet/20%dry diet.

Ramsey answered on 5/18/12. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer