Henry (1996-2010)

Is there a rabies vaccine I can give at home?

My Henry is terrified of the vet--he pees, poops, pants, growls, swipes, bites, and last time he vomited on the vet. He said with so much stress his heart rate was dangerously high, and said he should only come to the vet when it's an emergency. Well, his (and his brother Louie's) rabies vaccine is long overdue (my other cat Howie doesn't get one because he's allergic). All my cats are indoor cats, but the vaccine is still required (Howie is exempt because of his allergy).

Is there a way to give Henry a vaccine at home? I'm fine at giving shots if I have to, but is there an oral alternative? I am worried the next vet trip may kill him.

Any advice?

Asked by Henry (1996-2010) on Jun 23rd 2009 Tagged vaccines, vetphobia in Vaccinations

Answers

Gracie

Call the vet.

He might be able to suggest (and prescribe) some mild sedation that you can give Henry half hour or so before the trip to the vet. I know that such sedation exists because one of our vets prescribed it for Boris before a long car trip (we ended up not using it, but were told it would just make the cat calm and sleepy). Then, when your kitty is sedated, hopefully he will be too calm and contented to notice.

Another option is for the vet to suggest a colleague that will do house calls, so s/he can come visit Henry rather than the other way around. There are a few such vets who do that, but they might not advertise themselves as such if they only do it for certain pet patients and not for everyone.

Gracie answered on 6/23/09. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

The rabies vaccine can only be given by a licensed vet. It is illegal for even the vet techs to give that one. I would call the vet and ask for suggestions on how to get Henry in for the shot with less stress. My friend has to get a prescription for kitty valium to bring her cat in to the vet for anything.

You may want to consider taking Henry in just for the shot instead of more vaccinations and an exam as well at the same time. Call before you go to make sure you don't have to wait in the clinic to be seen. You can try wrapping him in a towel as that might make him feel safer. Also, you may want to consider finding a vet who treats ferals. I know Henry isn't feral, but his behavior at the vet mimics a feral cat. Even if you don't take him to the vet who treats ferals, you could ask for advice. But, in the end, I believe that a vet who makes housecalls is probably your best bet.

kaya skye

there ARE vets/vet techs who do housecalls-though usually this is done due to the disability of the owner rather than the phobia of the pet. however, check into vets who do make housecalls, and see if one will make an exception in your case. (and if you actually have some sort of disability, in this case that would actually help-as peculiar as that sounds.) a friend of mine is blind, and there is a vet that comes out and does just about everything her cats need done (including clipping their claws), except for complicated medical testing that requires special equipment. worth a try. if not, consider the sedative option...just ask for enough that you can test to achieve a dosage that will work for the amount of time you'll need-not all kitties react to sedation meds the same way, it's not just a matter of how much kitty weighs. good luck...poor henry. ))-:

kaya skye answered on 6/23/09. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

No, you must take your cat to a licensed veterinarian to get a rabies vaccine. Did you ever think of getting a veterinarian to come out to your home? You might be able to locate one in your community. Best of luck.