Loki

Is there a natural remedy for dry skin?

My cat has been having what looks like dandruff when I brush him-little white flakes. I'm assuming this is dry skin. Is there any natural remedy for this, topical or other wise? Are there any products you reccomend?

Asked by Loki on Jun 27th 2008 Tagged dryskin, grooming, natural, flakes in Skin Problems

Best Answer

Philbert

Omega Fatty Acids found in fish (or even as a suppliment you can give) is great for coats. All so some foods have avacado as an ingredient that has oils that are great for skin and coat. AvoDerm is a food that specificly advertises its avocado content and how it helps those problems out. I swear it sounds like I work for them, but I swear I don't <L> Ive just had really good luck with their products and Phil LOVES their select cuts wet food. He's on a no grain diet though, so he can't have the dry.

Also, There are kitty wipes that can help with dander i you dont want to give them baths whic could dry them out even more. My 19 year old cat can't clean her coat anymore and my mother uses some kitty cleaning wipes on her once in a while to help.

Philbert answered on Jun 27th.

Answers

Make sure that Lokie doesn't have fleas, as flea eggs or "nits" also look like 'little white flakes". Brushing is great for dry skin. It distributes the oils throughout the coat. I'm sure there are also shampoos for dry skin, but don't over do the bathing as that, in itself can cause dry skin.

Mr. Fez (Angel Dreamboat #25)

I have been dealing with dry skin too. My vet recommended a special shampoo and creme rinse called HyLyt. It's soapless so it's nondrying and it really seems to help. I also recommend feeding a high quality diet and second Izzie's suggestions of ruling out fleas and frequent brushing.

Mr. Fez (Angel Dreamboat #25) answered on 6/27/08. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 1 Report this answer

1.) Increase the level of humidity at home.

2.) Check for parasites and treat if present.

3.) Keep Loki out of the sun.

4.) Make sure Loki's food contains enough essential unsaturated fatty acids. Higher quality food = better health.

Good luck!

Spike

I'm not sure what you mean by a "natural" remedy (as opposed to an "unnatural" remedy?), but the other posters' ideas are good. A semi-regular bath with water that is not too hot and a mild shampoo is supposed to be effective (ever notice how people with dandruff often don't seem to wash their hair enough?). Some people say that shampooing dries the skin, but I shampoo my show cats almost every week, and they have no dandruff problems. Better-quality food, or adding oil to the cat's diet, should help, as should regular brushing. Remember that dandruff can be a symptom of allergies, infestation with fleas and other vermin, or diabetes. You might want to have Loki looked over by the vet just to rule out any health problems. Spot has dandruff too, and I find that keeping his fur neat with the Furminator helps (but then, he's a short hair). And I give him the occasional quick bath, which is all he needs to keep dandruff-free for a month or two.

Spike answered on 6/27/08. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 1 Report this answer

Hunter

The first thing you should do is have a vet evaluate your skin to be sure this isn't a metabolic issue. Once that is determined, fish oil is usually the best treatment for dry skin. Your vet can tell you the amount to give per day.

Hunter answered on 6/28/08. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

Borscht

If it's just dry skin, not related to another health issue, you can try an oatmeal based shampoo when bathing. Bathe about once a week (probably not more than that because over-bathing can make the skin dry also). You should be able to find oatmeal based shampoos at pet stores, or if not then ask your vet. There are other shampoos they have for dry skin also, if something else is needed (at the vet).

Borscht answered on 6/28/08. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer