Is salt harmful to cats?

I buy tiny cocktail prawns for my cats as treats, they normally have 4 or 5 each. I have just noticed the salt content....will this hurt them?

Asked by Member 662777 on Jul 28th 2008 in Treats

Answers

Well, people food in large quantities is never healthy for animals. And too much salt or sodium is harmful to humans as well. But I can't see that a few little treats now and then, like tuna canned for people, a little deli turkey or a few little prawns are going to cause any big health issues if your cats are healthy otherwise. As long as your cats don't eat so much of the treats that they won't eat their regular food, it shouldn't harm them.

Tabby

Hi,
See below for some of the foods inappropriate for cats (which includes salt)
Be aware of foods that are inappropriate for pets: Food items that potentially could be dangerous to pets include onions, onion powder, chocolate (bakers, semi sweet, milk, dark), products sweetened with xylitol (such as chewing gum), raisins and grapes, alcoholic beverages, yeast dough, coffee (grounds, beans, chocolate covered espresso beans, tea (caffeine), salt, macadamia nuts, hops (used in home beer brewing), tomato leaves and stems (green parts),), rhubarb leaves, avocados (toxic to birds, mice, rabbits, horses, cattle, and dairy goats), moldy or spoiled foods. You can check the following site.
<www.petplace.com/cats/tips-to-prevent-cat-poisonings/page1.aspx>

Tabby answered on 7/28/08. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer