Tidus

Is Nemex-2 safe for deworming kittens?

I have three feral kittens in the backyard..they're about 4-5 months old now. I've been socializing them and feeding them while waiting on a rescue group that works with feral born cats to be able to take them in, spay and neuter them and then adopt them out. They're making tons of good progress. I noticed today that they have roundworms in their stool though, and two of them have a bit of a distended belly. I have some Nemex-2 leftover from when I dewormed some foster puppies last year, but it says nothing on the label about being okay for cats. I was told by someone that since the ingredient is pyrantel pamoate, it should be safe...but I want to be absolutely sure if I can use it if I'm going to use it at all. Anyone ever used Nemex-2 on cats safely before, or should I look into buying a different wormer?

Asked by Tidus on Oct 3rd 2009 Tagged roundworms, deworming, worms, dewormer, nemex in Medications

Answers

Nemex & Stronigid are the same medication for worms and vets use them on kittens just a few weeks old, so it should be safe for your ferals. You'll have to check their stools in a few weeks if you can to make sure the worms are gone. The one thing you should never use on kittens is the wormers they sell in the pet stores containing piperazine. This has been known to cause death in kittens. Also make sure you check the expiration date on the wormer. It is medication and it is dangerous to use it if it's beyond the expiration date.