Jack Frost

Is my kitten a purebred Himalayan?

This little furbaby came to live with us Christmas 2011. I was told he was purebred Himalayan (Seal-Lynx Point). The only think that has me doubting this is the fact that his eyes are robin's eye blue in the middle, surrounded by pale yellow. When I asked about this, I was told that this is typical of the Lynx line. Does anyone know this for a fact? I thought Himalyan eyes needed to be pure, bright blue. Thanks!

Asked by Jack Frost on Dec 29th 2011 Tagged himalyan, purebred, yelloweyes, blueeyes, seallynxpoint, kitten in Himalayan

Answers

Cali

Does it really matter that much? If he doesn't have pedigreed papers from a reputable breeder he's not really ideal for serious "cat-fancying" or proper breeding, right? And no matter what he's still a gorgeous little cat. Plus at 2 months his eyes probably aren't the exact color and shading they'll end up when he's all grown up.

Also since the breeder let her animals have rampant flea infestations she probably wasn't screening her breeding candidates closely to minimize the chances for Himalayan genetic problems like polycystic kidney disease or overly recessed noses leading to breathing problems, so if he has a little of a hardier breed or moggie cat mixed in his background that's probably a blessing! We hope you reported her to animal control- no breeder should be selling kittens with fleas and untreated URIs, that is gross neglect. Rescue groups don't even adopt out feral kittens until those kind of problems are cured!

Cali answered on 12/29/11. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

I'm glad that Jack Frost has found a good home. Your story about the breeder makes me mad. It's breeders like that that give the rest of us a bad name. Has Jack gotten a thorough health check? If the yellowed eyes are the sign of a health problem, you should know. I've never had a colorpoint cat, but in the case of moggies and Maine Coons, eye color doesn't stabilize until three months or so. At two months, eye color is still fluctuating. Any breeder who sells a cat before its eye color has stabilized is selling their kittens way too soon. This breeder should be reported to animal control and/or any regristry the breeder belongs to. The world doesn't need sleazy breeders.