Is my cat really hungry or testing me?

I just got a new cat, she is about 8yo and stays indoors, I have been feeding her like her previous owners did but she meows like I am starving her. I leave out dry food but I think she has difficulty eating it, her teeth don't look that great. Anyway, is she just trying to test me since I am new to her, or could she be genuinely hungry?

Asked by Member 1134126 on Oct 4th 2012 Tagged food, hungry, older in Food & Nutrition

Answers

Cats don't usually play "mind games", and by meowing, she's trying to tell you something. She may be hungry, or just a vocal kitty. First of all, if you haven't had her to a vet yet, you need to take her even if the previous owner says she "just went". She could have dental issues which is common at her age, but if left untreated could cause very nasty infections. She is also asking you if she's "home". If she spent 8 years in her other home, everything is new to her and she needs reassurance. Playtimes, gentle grooming, cuddles if she'll accept them, etc. Speak softly and kindly to her. Help her get accustomed to her new home. Good luck!

First, get kitty to a vet for a check-up and take it from there. My 6-year old cat always acts hungry too! I give her Wellness canned food which is high in protein. My vet says that the wet food is more filling than the dry food, as dry kibble is high in carbohydrates and doesn't fill their tummies like a high protein diet would. Ask your vet for some advice on feeding this kitty. She may be eating a poor diet which is making her always feel hungry. Good luck with your new kitty. She will give you many years of happiness if you take care of her properly and give her lots of love and attention.

Tommy

It could be that the food you are feeding her is not her taste. Or that she just wants a change like a treat once a week.

Tommy answered on 10/5/12. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer