Is my cat playing or eating his poop?

I woke up this morning and found chunks of my cats poop on a side table? I know it's not stuck to their bottom and then falling off. There were at least 4 small pieces about the size of a lifesaver or smaller and they have litter on each piece. Could it be that they are still hungry? I already feed each of them 8 ounces of canned Wellness kitten food each day. They are both 4 months old. They have both been battling URI for the past 3 weeks and now we have this. I also just switched them to dry Wellness food to see if this helps because they have been a little soft but I think that's due to the antibiotics they have been on for the last 3 weeks. I just can't have this in my house and if it keeps up I will have to put them out on our lanai to live. :(

Asked by Member 1157206 on Feb 27th 2013 in Kittens

Answers

There is nothing wrong with you cat, even though cats eating their feces is a lot more rare than dogs doing it. Cats eat their own poop simply because it taste like their food. It can be solved very easily with a product called "Forbid". Call a your vet to check and see if they have it, most will sell it to you with out an appointment. It comes in a little packet like instant oatmeal, and all you do is sprinkle it over their food, after they eat it will cause their excrement to have a foul taste and most of the time stop the habit within a couple of days.
Also, since they're on antibiotics, it may be causing them to have to "go right now" and they may not be able to get to a box. Make sure each has their own box and try putting out a few more if you have room for easy access for them.