is my cat male or female? How can i tell

I thought my six month old cat was a female but it some what looks as if she has male parts. How would I know what the sex is.

Asked by Member 691758 on Aug 10th 2008 Tagged gender, oldercat, maleorfemale in Health & Wellness

Answers

By the age of six months, there should be no doubt of the sex of your cat. If it was a female, she probably would have come into heat by now. On the other hand, if it was a male, it should have pronounced testicles. Just to make sure there isn't anything unusual about your cat's genitalia, I would take it to the vet for an exam. And whatever it is, you need to have it spayed or neutered.

Yes, by six months the presence or absence of testicles (which will be very apparent, if they are there) will tell you the sex of your cat. If you don't know what sex your cat is, that must mean you haven't been to the vet yet. Please find a good vet and make an appointment right away. Not only do you want to ascertain the cat's sex, you want to get a general health check-up, which should include blood tests for feline leukemia and feline AIDs, and discuss when to have your cat spayed or neutered. You also MUST get your cat vaccinated, especially if it's not just an indoor cat. Please remember to treat your cat as if it were your child; you'd certainly take a child to a pediatrician for check-ups and necessary care; please do the same for Kitty. If you have economic concerns about vet fees, please write back and someone will give you advice on how to get help for paying for health care for your cat.