Is it possible to have 2 cats use just 1 litter?

Simon (new cat) 6 year old male cat, fixed. Waiting for previous owner to get back to me about vet records though I was told when I got him he was UTD on all his shots ad was healthy. He was an indoor/outdoor cat at his previous home but I plan to keep him strictly indoors.
Hunter (existing cat) 1.5 year old Maine Coon mix male, fixed. He had his last check up from the vet 2 and half months ago and was healthy. Has been an indoor cat at his previous owners and is here. Also a very laid back cat, is absolutely in love with the new addition.
I just received a new cat (Simon) from a lady that could no longer keep him and introduced him to my existing cat (Hunter)they get a long very well and seem comfortable around each other. I had never heard of this 'one for each cat plus one' litter rule. My house is small and I honestly do not know where I would put a second, let alone, third litter. Neither cat seems to be avoiding the box, it's a large box with more than enough litter for both.

Asked by Member 1145157 on Dec 14th 2012 Tagged litterboxmultiplecats in Behavior & Training

Answers

Gidget

Thank you for taking these kitties into your home & heart;)
YES, 2 kitties will & can use 1 litter box. Watch for signs of one not wanting to share or inappropriate behavior. Each kitty is different, some refuse to share, some share.
There are 4 of us in this home & there are 4 litter boxes, they all don't get used.
Wishing you the best of luck!

Gidget answered on 12/14/12. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

First, I am glad to hear that you have adopted these two cats and are keeping them indoors. As for the litterbox issue, it is best to have one more litterbox than you have cats. So, yes, you would need a total of three (3). If your place is that small, and you feel you can manage with just the one large box, then you need to keep the box EXTRA CLEAN. If you don't, that's when you will have problems. I hope all works out for your new kitty friends. Best of luck. I'm sure they will bring you much happiness for many years to come.

Neenah

More than one litter box sounds good.

Neenah answered on 12/15/12. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer