Is it normal to be so tiny at 7 months? 1kg

I've had cats for years both male and female. The longest one lived was 19 years! Anyway my latest edition to my growning animal family is Buddy a 7 month old maine coon mix, he is tiny! The smallest cat I have ever had, he is quite short, has tiny features and weighs a little over 1kg but he is perfectly healthy, has a good appetite, he has never been over active. I think he may be inbred though, should I be worried about his size even though I can see nothing wrong with him?

Asked by Member 1149212 on Jan 10th 2013 in Kittens

Answers

Buddy may be the "runt of the litter" and destined to always be small. I've been told that Lizzie is a Maine Coon mix as well and although she's gained weight since I adopted her, she, too, is tiny compared to her brother Izzie, also an MC mix. Truthfully, the only way to tell if Buddy is truly healthy with no issues that would inhibit his growth even though he appears healthy to you, is to have a vet examine him, especially if he's never been. He does need to be neutered if he's not already, need vaccinations and just needs a "look-over" by a veterinary professional. That will certainly give you peace of mind and a heads-up for Buddy's future.