Is it better to adopt one kitten or two?

We have no pets and are currently waiting to get our kitten who is being fostered. The kitten also has a sister and I am wondering if I should adopt her as well so that they won't be lonely during the day while we are at work.

Asked by Member 760883 on Oct 29th 2008 Tagged adopting, kitten in Adoption & Rescue

Best Answer

Atrus

If you would like two kittens and are financially able to care for both of them, go ahead and get both. If you don't really -want- two cats, it's okay to just get the one.

Remember, cats are naturally very solitary animals. They are not highly social animals like dogs, they tend to live alone. A cat with a stimulating environment (toys, appropriate things to scratch or climb etc) will not be lonely when you are gone. Remember also that cats, particularly kittens, sleep the vast majority of the day. Your kitten will probably sleep over 16 hours and, since cats are naturally nocturnal, most of those hours while be in the middle of the day while you're working.

So if you truly want two cats, get both. If your only reason would be the keep the first company, I don't think it's necessary.

Atrus answered on Oct 30th.

Answers

Lilly

I think that if they have been together this whole time and have not yet been separated then it wouldn't hurt to adopt both of them. My husband and I saved a full grown cat and then adopted one about a month later. It took a little bit of time for them to start getting along, but that was only because they didn't know each other beforehand. If you get both then you are correct, they will keep each other occupied during the day, but at the same time you might want to think about it more. Cats can be destructive with their claws and it takes twice the amount of work as far as the litterbox and amount of money for the vet. Just something to think about : ).

Lilly answered on 10/29/08. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

I think that would be a great idea! Adopt both of them!

Cats can become destructive if lonely and bored during the day- two siblings will grow up to love each other and will keep each other better entertained when left alone. Although keep in mind that if they are a male and a female, you will need to spay and neuter both of them to prevent unwanted kittens. And one more thing- two cats is double the cost of one. ;-)

Gogo

As long as you can afford it I'd definitely get his sister too.

I adopted two 9 week old sisters and they were great together and played and kept each other company while I worked. They also didn't ambush my feet/claw my ankles like Xena did when she was an only kitten.

Watching kittens play and snuggle together is the cutest thing in the world so you'd have that to look forward to. They will be just as friendly and playful with you and Gogo and Jingo and both real lap cats and love me just as much as each other.

Gogo answered on 10/29/08. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

When I got my first cats from a friend, she forced me to take both the brother and sister. It was the best decision I ever made. They were absolutely inseparable, and when the sister predeceased the brother, he almost died himself out of grief--he stopped eating and had to be hand-fed, and when I came home after work he'd howl for an hour to tell me how lonely he'd been all day. They'd been together since they were in their mother's womb, and I'm sure they're together now in kitty heaven. Cats ARE solitary creatures, but if the cats get along well, they will play together, sleep together, and keep each other company. Littermates probably make the best companions. Personally, I'd go for it.