Ollie

Is it a bad idea to put a collar on a cat?

We know a woman who raises Maine Coons and she said that putting collars on cats is so wrong because they shouldn't be collared

Asked by Ollie on Feb 17th 2009 Tagged wehaveatagwithourcatsnameonit in I.D. Tags & Microchips

Best Answer

I agree with Allie. Even if you have an indoor cat, you never know when it might get outside and get lost. A collar can make a difference between finding your kitty again or losing it forever. I, too, raise Maine Coons, and I don't put collars on them because, as Allie says, it gets tangled in the fur--or, at the very least, leaves an unsightly mark in the fur that's not good when you're showing your cats in cat shows. In fact, I think that show cats, in general, even the short haired ones, don't wear collars. However, pets are different. Ignore the Maine Coon lady (unless you're showing your cat), and put on a collar for safety's sake. There are a lot of good collar discussions on Catster.

Lola answered on Feb 17th.

Answers

As long as it's a safety breakaway collar, it's a good idea if they go outside. That way it tells people the cat has a home and you can even use id tags or even have the collar printed with your name and number. Or with a bell, the birds can be warned that kitty is coming. I have fancy sparkly "diamond" collars that my cats wear when we have company. But with long haired cats, it gets tangled up in the hair and can cause mats if I leave it on for too long. Maybe that is why somebody who raises Maine Coons would have said it was a bad idea?

Raza

We all wear collars in our house. It's so other people know we are loved and cared for and that we are not strays. Also if we do get lost, hopefully we will still have our collars on and hopefully someone will call us. It's handy Sam's one, has some loud sounding bells on it. So we know were she is and if we call her we can hear her coming. Though it still doesn't stop her getting birds : ( She's the hunter.

Raza answered on 2/17/09. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

Callisto (In Loving Memory)

If your kitty gets lost, how will he find his way home? If he's wearing a collar, a helpful neighbor could call you.

Cats should not wear dog collars, however! Kitty collars are specially designed to break or stretch and come off if kitty gets it caught on something. Dog collars, which are not designed this way, can strangle a cat!

So how does kitty find his way home if his collar breaks off? He should also have a chip! Your vet can easily inject a small microchip under your cat's skin which nearly any vet, shelter, or animal control can detect. The chips have ID numbers which can be looked up in a national database to find your contact information. My vet charged around $35 for this.

So, lost kitty's way home is 1) a break-away collar with a tag any one can read and 2) a microchip that nearly any vet, shelter or animal control can access.

If you don't get Ollie a collar (others here seem to have good reasons not to for some cats), I hope you'll consider having him chipped

Callisto (In Loving Memory) answered on 2/17/09. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

I'm a fan of micro-chipping as 5 of my 6 animals are chipped. When my sweet Ernie (who set the record for how many collars he lost and how fast he lost them) was hit by a car last summer, they identified him through his chip. Even if your kitty isn't an outside kitty (Ernie made himself an outside cat by bolting out the door with my dogs) they can always slip out. Microchips don't come off like collars and cats can't get hung up on limbs, branches and fencing and hang themselves if they aren't wearing a breakaway collar. My vet said she doesn't know of any vet or shelter who doesn't have a chip reader and that's the first thing they do when a cat comes in, is scan it for a chip. A collar with tags is extra insurance, if you can get the cat to keep it on, but as for me, I rely on the chipping for identification.

More Questions in This Category