IS HAIRBALL FOOD A LAXATIVE?

I have a 2yr. maine coon mix. he has a sensitive stomach. so we put him on a sensitive stomach dry food. then he started getting hairballs so we mixed in hairball food with the sensitive. to try and help both. i know that the hairball paste that you put on their paws is basically a laxative. he has had runny poop for a while. could the hairball food be counter acting the sensitive stomach food.

Asked by Member 1098357 on Oct 4th 2012 in Pet Food

Answers

I believe that hairball food contains more fiber, which will more or less "push" the hairballs through. That's what the hairball paste does. It "greases" the way for the hairballs to be expelled. If he's just started the runny poops since you changed his diet, it's quite possible. A senstivie stomach would make him super-sensitive to any food changes. More grooming (by you) may be in order if he has a big problem with hairballs. I try to brush my 2 MC mixes at least once a day. If it's a REAL issue for him, you might even want to consider taking him to a cat groomer. I'd put him back on just the sensitive stomach food for a while and see if that helps.