Yoru

I's gots a cold!

I'm 99% sure Yoru has a URI. I've had cats with URI with the same symptoms in the past. Wheezing, sniffling, coughing, runny eyes/nose. I know he'd need antibiotics but he's too skiddish and timid to get him into a carrier and take him to a vet. He won't even go near it and completly spazzes out if. He doesn't even like coming inside the house for more than a few minutes, much less a tiny carrier or the car. Do you think the vet might give me the antibiotics without seeing him or maybe give me a quick acting mild sedative to knock Yoru out till the vet visit is over?

Asked by Yoru "YoYo" Puffs on Jan 3rd 2011 Tagged uri, cold, upperrespitoryinfection, skiddish, timid, scared, sedative, antibiotic in Medications

Answers

URIs can be caused by viruses or by bacteria. Antibiotics will only work if he has a bacterial infection. Sometimes, a viral infection will lead to a bacterial one. In general, viral infections involve clear or brownish discharge, and bacterial ones will produce yellow or green. Only a vet can tell for sure what's wrong with Yoru. I doubt that any vet would prescribe medications without seeing your cat first. As for sedatives, I've given cats Valium and Xanax (vet prescribed), which make them woozy but don't knock them out. Again, it's unlikely that a vet would prescribe any med strong enough to knock out a cat without administering it him/herself. Call your vet for advice. My cats don't have problems with carriers or traveling; maybe someone else can give you advice about how to get Yoru into a carrier. Good luck.

Chibi answered on 1/3/11. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

If Yoru is as feral as you say he is, then getting him to a vet will be difficult, but not impossible. Unfortunately, no vet I know would prescribe meds w/o seeing an animal first. I believe the only way to get Yoru to a vet would be to trap him using a humane trap. You will not be able to "catch" him and get him into a carrier. Most humane traps do fit in the back of a car. You can contact a local rescue or even your animal control officer thru your police department for them to loan you one. Bait it with the smelliest wet food you can find since his sense of smell is probably compromised. Do not try to remove him from the trap, you'll be attacked. You can try asking for sedative, but with a respiratory infection, I doubt if the vet would give you one. And make sure whatever vet you go to, they are accustomed to handling ferals.
Thanks for caring about this poor guy--and let us know how he's doing.