Jackpot

Is feeding a cat dry food only acceptable for good heath?

It's been 5 years, but suddenly I've become concerned about it. Everyone is healthy. Also, do cats get bored eating the same exact food every day?

Asked by Jackpot on May 14th 2010 Tagged food, bored in Other Food & Nutrition

Answers

Hunter *Dreamboat #82*

Dry cat food is acceptable in certain circumstances. Cats need water with their food. Dry food doesn't have enough water to keep cats healthy. Although some cats are perfectly healthy on it. Canned wet food has usually about 78% water which is so much better for cats! I'm not saying dry food is horrible. I feed Hunter about 1/4 cup of dry food a day, that doesn't include his wet food. I fed my other kitty dry food all her life. She ended up weighing 18 pounds!! That was way too much for her frame. Plus she had urinary tract infections. The more water your cats drink/ eat with their food the better! There are some cats that live up into their 20's on dry food alone. I feed the same kind of dry food everyday. He never gets tired of it. Also, I switch out the flavor of his wet food every week, so he gets a variety. But honestly for good health, I personally think that canned/grain free food is the way to go! Good Luck with your kitties!!

Hunter *Dreamboat #82* answered on 5/14/10. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

♥ Tasha ♥

I agree with Hunter~ some cats eat dry their whole life without problems, however I believe that by feeding canned you can possibly avoid some serious health problems. I feed grain fee canned foods, but I honestly feel that any canned is better than dry because of the moisture that they get from it. I rotate their food every day, different flavors and even different brands for variety.

♥ Tasha ♥ answered on 5/14/10. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

Shadow

Here are some really good sites to read about this, we really have to educaate ourselves on this matter, and not rely on most vets.
www.blakkatz.com
www.catinfo.org

Shadow answered on 5/14/10. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer