is euthanasia the only option for a cat with FIV?

we adopted (he adopted us) a stray cat he started to get thin and had diahrea i took him to the vet he tested + for FIV. He has anemia to the point his gums are white and fluid in his abdomen the vet reccomends euthanasia because there is no cure for FIV. but from what i have read these cats can still live normal lives with good care and a watchful eye. So my question is is euthanasia my only option ? and does the disease progress to a point where that is the only option and is Blackie to that point now? someone help I can't justify taking his life without knowing all the options.

Asked by Member 876764 on Sep 14th 2009 Tagged fiv, anemia, euthanasia in FIV (Feline Immunodeficiency Virus)

Answers

I am so sorry. FIV is incurable and even the shots claiming to protect against contracting this disease are controversial. It is possible to maintain a cat with FIV, but it's my belief that this disease must be caught in it's very early stages and treated aggressively to keep it from progressing rapidly to the stage Blackie is at now. I know that euthanasia is an extremely difficult decision to make and you must rely on your vet to help you make it. Ask yourself if Blackie has any quality of life and remember that animals are very adept at hiding pain and discomfort. I am facing the same decision with my elderly Golden with an incurable condition and I know how heart-wrenching it can be. God bless you for caring about this poor guy and getting him off the streets and into a loving home. We will keep you close in our hearts and thoughts.

Euthanasia is definitely not the only option, and in my opinion, shouldn't even be brought up solely on a cat being FIV positive. I think the only thing that it comes down to is what is otherwise actually wrong with the cat and it's potential to be treated and the cat's quality of life. I have adopted two middle aged FIV positive cats and they are both enjoying life and doing relatively well. They are prone to chronic respiratory infections and they both seem to produce more eye goobs than a non-positive cat, but they do not seem to be suffering and when something seems wrong we take care of them as necessary. Overall, they do live normal happy lives and it would be such a shame to euthanize them now. My one had diarrhea for quite awhile 2 and I thought would be permanent but after seeing a vet and gettting something for it it went and stayed away. Go with your heart and keep questioning n learning and kudos to you for helping a deserving FIVer. Best wishes to you and your cat!!