George

Is dog food safe for cats?

I ate dog food today when it spilled on the floor. I didn't eat a lot - probably about a human handful. Will I get sick? I just recovered from a nasty cold that took 2 different meds to cure and I don't wanna go through that again!

Asked by George on Jul 20th 2011 Tagged dogfood, handful, food, spills, cat, kitten, cold, sick in Swallowing Foreign Objects

Answers

Bigode

I don’t recommend you eat dog food. It has less protein and fat than cat food. Although no danger could happen to you if you eat dog food once in a while, eating it in daily bases will be bad for your health.
Meows!!!

Bigode answered on 7/20/11. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

No, in answer to your question, a bit of dog food won't hurt you. Izzie has been known to share my Springer's supper once in a while. However, after a few mouthfuls, he soon becomes bored and decides he likes his own food better. It would be wrong if you were deliberately feeding George the dog's food, but you aren't. It was an accident. Don't feel guilty! George will ultimately prefer his own food. However, make sure that you do not let him eat "people food", especially things like onions as that CAN cause upsets and illnesses, also certain houseplants can be poisonous. So, since George likes to explore different "culinary items", do keep an eye on him.

Spike

I am unclear as to your question. Are you speaking as a human or as a cat? In either case, barring a tainted batch of food, a few mouthfuls shouldn't hurt you. Just don't overdo it.

Spike answered on 7/21/11. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

It should be fine. My cat of 2 years has been eating it for the past 2 years, and he is fine! I think its pretty much the same stuff in both. Don't worry, it shouldn't be a problem!