~Scampurr~

Is 8 years old considered old for a cat?

My cat is turning 8 this year, and I'm extremely attached to her, like all cat owners. I am just curious what age most people's indoor ONLY cats have lived to.

Thanks all,
Amy

Asked by ~Scampurr~ on Oct 9th 2007 in Senior Pet

Best Answer

My sister and I are also turning 8 this year. According to our vet, 8 is considered "senior" and we will get checkups twice a year from now on, but it is by no means old age. Cats can live up to their mid-20's. :) Mid-teens is quite common.

answered on Oct 9th.

Answers

Sacha (12/20/86 - 12/7/08)

8 years is considered senior and cats should be seen by a vet twice a year, having blood panels and urinalysis done at least once a year, from age 7 onwards.

I'm almost 21 years old and an indoor only cat (although I am allowed out on Mum & Dad's screened patio). I have heart disease and kidney disease, but I'm going strong. Check out my pictures!

Sacha (12/20/86 - 12/7/08) answered on 10/9/07. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 1 Report this answer

Popka, Dearest Angel

Skylar and Sacha gave Great Answers! You DO need careful kitty care and screening when they start calling you a "Senior" ~ But as they told you, we can live to be VERY old. I was 19 1/2 when I came to the Rainbow Bridge. At that time, my v-e-t was telling me that the oldest living kitty (at THAT time!) was over 30 years old!!!

Loviest of purrs with best wishes,

Popka (In Sad & Loving Memory)

Popka, Dearest Angel answered on 10/9/07. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 1 Report this answer

Shizzle (1995-2007)

Hi, Amy (and Scampurr)
My sister Hopie and I were both ten years old when we came to live with our humans. I went to the Bridge after about 1 1/2 years and my sister after about a year. But, we were not so healthy. Like lots of male cats, I had kidney problems that couldn't be fixed--it was too late. My sister came from Louisiana after Hurricane Katrina and she had health problems as well. But, if Scampurr has had a good, healthy life with you, all her shots and tests and is eating a good quality Senior Kitty food, then there's no reason why, if you keep up her medical care, she couldn't live another ten years or more! My mom used to do humane rescue work and she heard from lots of people about cats who lived to be 25 years old! My mom will tell you that old(er) cats are GREAT. We don't seem to slow down as fast as our canine counterparts and can act like kittens forever. Just make sure that as Scampurr gets older that you make your vet your best friend!

Shizzle (1995-2007) answered on 10/10/07. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 1 Report this answer

Samson (1990 - 2008)

Dear Amy

You've plenty of life left in you. I'm 17 this month and still chase my tail up and down the stairs.

Just make sure that you always have your annual vaccinations and you'll be fine.

Samson

Samson (1990 - 2008) answered on 10/11/07. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 1 Report this answer

Baltster 1990 ~ 2011

I'm 17 (hooman years old) too. and I live inside and outside, where ever I feel like it. I think you have alot of years in you yet. Unless you do something silly MOL.

Baltster 1990 ~ 2011 answered on 10/11/07. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 1 Report this answer

Rocky RIP Our Christmas Angel

UIf your old i am ancient mol, 20 next month!

Rocky RIP Our Christmas Angel answered on 10/14/07. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer