Indoor only cat questions

Hi
I am thinking of getting an indoor only cat as I live in a city environment.

My question is, if I were to get one, would it get lonely or depressed (it would only be me and the cat), as I will be sleeping for 8 hours a day, and working 10 - 14, 4 - 5 days at a time.
Also how much space do they need to, be happy. Since they do not have the luxury of going outside and finding spots that they enjoy their naps in.
I couldnt imagine bring a cat into my current shoebox apartment, but would a 1 bedroom unit be acceptable?
The very last thing I would want to do is bring a cat into an environment where he would be miserable.

Thanks

Asked by Member 1148538 on Jan 6th 2013 Tagged indoorcats, sanity in Health & Wellness

Answers

Hi,
Good that you're thinking about adopting a kitten.

I have one indoor cat as well. She is 1 year but we got her when she was 9 weeks old so she never went outside.
She lives quite happily inside. She stays alone for most of the day but you have to provide toys or something she finds amusing (like plastic bottle's lids).
When you get home in the evening, you have to take some time to play with her, make some quality time for both of you. Mine loves the cuddling when I get home.

Mine has no signs of stress or boredom, she eats well, seems very happy, and is the owner of the house for most of the time.

I live in a 2 bedroom apartment, but I would say 1 bedroom apartment should be sufficient.

Good luck with your kitten!

You got an excellent answer from the previous poster. I'd just like to add that when you are ready, go to your local humane shelter or contact rescues that you can find on www.petfinder.com in your area. Go with an open mind as well as an open heart. You will be asked many questions about your lifestyle and your opinions on being owned by a cat. The staff isn't prying, but they need to be able to match you with a cat that will fit in and lessen the chances of a return. If you have preferences, make them known, but don't be determined to get exactly what you have in mind or nothing at all. You may have wanted a long-haired, tortoiseshell female and wind up with a coal black, short-haired male because he fits into your lifestyle better and would be a better companion! A cat will only be miserable if it's totally neglected and treated like a "thing" or an interference in it's owner's life. A cat can be happy anywhere as long as it knows it's loved and safe.