Gizmo

Indoor cats and rabies vaccines?

I have 4 cats and none of them EVER go outside, nor will I allow them to! Do they still need rabies vaccines? I have gotten them all vaccinated fully, including rabies vaccines, but am not certain if that one is really necessary since they are strictly indoor cats?

Asked by Gizmo on Sep 17th 2009 in Vaccinations

Answers

There are a couple of reasons that I do it even though mine are indoor only. 1- it's the law in my state as well as many other states. 2- if anybody ever does sneak out, I want them to be protected. There is also the chance that something with rabies could get in like a bat or something. I kind of laughed when my breeder said that to me and the next thing I know I see bats flying around in my backyard. Not as far fetched as I thought! There are vaccines that are not needed for indoor cats, but rabies is not one of them.

Minuit AKA Miss Meany

Miss Meany is an indoor cat only and she is always vaccinated for rabies for the following reasons:
1) It's the law.
2) As Allie mentioned, bats. Whether you live in an apartment or a house, there is always a change a bat can find a way in. We all know how attractive that bat would be to your cats. Bats can carry rabies.
3) This is the main reason why I always vaccinate Miss Meany against rabies. If she ever bit or scratched anyone visiting my home and I had no prove she had her rabies, she would be taken away, possibly euthanized and I would be in deep trouble. Not worth it to me, I would rather she get the vaccine.

Minuit AKA Miss Meany answered on 9/17/09. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

Jasper

It depends on what state you live in and the law. In Pennsylvania it is not a law even though I always believed it to be. My neighbor is a cat hoarder and we called 5 different agencies about the cats and we were told by the department of Agriculture that rabies shots are not required or enforced. I always got shots for my cat's. I would especially think that outside cats should be required to have them.

Jasper answered on 9/18/09. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

Gracie

Like everyone else said, it's the law, and it's a good thing to do just in case one of your kitties gets outdoors by accident. So that's the one vaccination you can't skip on unless other medical problems prevent giving a cat that shot (that does happen with elderly cats with serious ailments).

That said, you might want to investigate the laws of the state with the help of your vet. Some states may waive the requirement of vaccinating in lieu of having a tither done (it's basically a test that checks to see the level of antibodies to rabies in your system) that proves your cat is going to be adequately protected from the disease if it comes in contact with a cat carrying it.

However, you should realize that tithers are imperfect tools, and you might end up having one done only to be told that you still need to do rabies shots for the year.

Gracie answered on 9/18/09. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer