I need help with reintroducing 2 female cats

I got a cat about a month ago. She was in a rough situation living with 11 other cats. I talked to the previous owner and they want us to take another of the cats. The cat we already have was really submissive and scared all the time. She is doing really great now. I am trying to figure out if it would be hard to reintroduce them with the current cat now being the "Queen" of the house.

Asked by Member 1101233 on Mar 20th 2012 in Bringing Your Pet Home

Answers

Just a caution, if you do decide to take another of this hoarder's cats, make sure that you visit the vet before you bring it home. And, if your current cat has not been for an exam and neither of the cats is fixed, absolutely do so before you add another to your family. As for introducing the new cat, go about it as you would any other introduction of a new cat. Keep the newcomer separated from the resident. Put him/her in a room with a box, toys, blanket, food and water and visit with the cat as often as you can to socialize him/her. Once in a while, let the newcomer out of the room and let your cat into that room so they can explore each other's scents. You'll need to judge when you feel the two cats are ready to meet. There wil be hissing and chasing. Chances are the resident will have only dim memories of the new cat. She will assert to the newcomer that this is "her" territory and as long as fur doesn't fly, let them work it out, supervised, of course.