TuxiBelle

I keep chewing my fur off

I'm just over a year old, have a sensitive stomach, and colitis that's under control. I keep chewing the fur off my body, especially my hind legs. I don't know why I do it. We're paying off my Dr bill from my recent colitis bout, so we can't get anything fancy. Is there a simple, cheap way to get me to stop this compulsive behavior (and mum can stop calling me Baldy. I'm a happy kitty, playful and loved and spend much time with my brother. I am clean, live indoors, and have no fleas, or known allergies.

Asked by TuxiBelle on Jul 10th 2010 Tagged cat, chew, bald, anxiety, compulsive, behavior in Fears & Phobias

Answers

Salem

You can buy a cone shape collar at your local pet store for around $10 or less. This will physically block your cat from biting at his fur, however you will also need to buy wipes or something else to clean him with and wipe him down daily as he won't be able to groom.

Salem answered on 7/10/10. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

Nathanial Patrick

Unfortunately, I totally disagree with the previous answer given, although I totally see the reasoning behind it. Usually, when an animal starts pulling out fur, it is a clear sign of stress, which could either be related to TuxiBelle's health or stresses within the home. The only way to "cure" such a situation is Lots and Lots of personal One on One time with Kitty with Mom/Dad. We had a situation where we were forced to have a mother-in-law live with us which the cat hated. She chewed herself bald the entire time that person was in the house, but stopped the instant that woman left. Also, things like gentle brushing, massages, soft snuggles, and cuddling can really help calm things down. Depending on your climate, I would recommend getting a cat warming bed -- kind of like a heating pad especially for cats. This little one desperately needs to have nothing but comforting, loving messages come to her right now.

Nathanial Patrick answered on 1/4/11. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer