Willow aka Wilomena Catbeast -

I eat flies when I catch them. Will they make me sick?

I like to catch flies and I'm very good at it. As soon as I grasp it with my paws I chomp it right down. But mum is worried that flies have germs and they will make me sick. Is it ok for me to eat flies?


Asked by Willow aka Wilomena Catbeast - on Jul 15th 2008 Tagged cat, flies, fly, insect, bugs, eating in Other Health & Wellness
Report this question Get this question's RSS feed Send this question to a friend



Status

  • Cast your vote for which answer you think is best!


Answers

Izadore (Izzie)

When Izzie or Ernie catch a bug, we laugh and joke that it's just a little extra "protein" in their diets. Neither has ever become ill from it. However, if the bugs have been sprayed with insecticide and THEN Willow eats them, it could be a different story. If you do spray bugs in your home, I'd remove them when they expire and flush them. Also, I would discourage Willow from catching bees or wasps because they can sting her especially inside her mouth. That can cause swelling, pain and sometimes an allergic reaction.


Izadore (Izzie) answered on 7/15/08. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer


Oscar J. Cat

Oscar is a big fly catcher too. He always eats his conquests too. BLECH. He's never had any problems with it but he's an indoor cat and doesn't come in contact with much more than flies, and I don't generally use pesticides in the house.


Oscar J. Cat answered on 7/15/08. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer


Philbert

Phil and Clawdia are both expert fly catchers as well! And in Brooklyn in the summer..there can be some serious hunting to do. My vet told me that a cat can get giarida from eating flies, but it's not too common.


Philbert answered on 7/15/08. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer


Sebastian

Mom laughs at me because I catch them in between my toes like Karate Kid! MOL.... I dont think a couple of flies will hurt you... besides... they are fun to try and catch. Now one time when Cleo was a kitten she caught and ATE a RED WASP.... that could hurt you... it happened before mom could do anything to stop it... Fortunately she wasnt stung..... but she stuck to catching moths after that... MOL


Sebastian answered on 7/15/08. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer


Gogo

Flies are my favorite snack! I think you are safe as my sisters and I have eaten lots of flies and never got sick.


Gogo answered on 7/15/08. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer


Garfield

I don't think it will hurt them as long as he doesn't eat any poisonous bugs. I usually just let GArfield eat them adds protein to his diet LOL (not really but I just say that)


Garfield answered on 7/16/08. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer


Harvey

There was an old woman who swallowed a fly,
I don't know why she swallowed a fly,
Perhaps she'll die.
There was an old woman who swallowed a spider,
That wriggled and jiggled and tickled inside her,
She swallowed the spider to catch the fly,
I don't know why she swallowed the fly,
Perhaps she'll die.

There was an old woman who swallowed a bird,
How absurd! to swallow a bird,
She swallowed the bird to catch the spider,
That wriggled and jiggled and tickled inside her,
She swallowed the spider to catch the fly,
I don't know why she swallowed the fly,
Perhaps she'll die.

There was an old woman who swallowed a cat,
Imagine that! to swallow a cat,
She swallowed the cat to catch the bird,
She swallowed the bird to catch the spider,
That wriggled and jiggled and tickled inside her,
She swallowed the spider to catch the fly,
I don't know why she swallowed the fly,
Perhaps she'll die.

Moral of the story: avoid eating anything bigger than you are.


Harvey answered on 7/22/08. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer