I didn't allow my female cat to mate early this day

Hi
My 8 months old female cat had her first heat cycle today, I didn't understand her new awkward behavior until I searched in the internet and read about it. My cat is usually allowed outdoor, I am sure that if she gets out she'll get sprayed but at the time I'm writing this she's doing the ugly calling and it's night and I can't let her out. She's been like this for 3 hours now and I won't allow her outside only after 11 hours (in the next morning) that makes 14 hours of this heat period. Will that be unhealthy or will it harm her? And is there a way I can stop this behavior even only for tonight?
Thanks.

Asked by Member 1148002 on Jan 3rd 2013 Tagged catinheatnotallowedhours in Breeds

Answers

Yes, you can stop this behavior permanently by having her spayed as soon as possible. She won't simply get "sprayed" if she goes out. She will come back pregnant and you will have kittens to deal with. Letting an unspayed female outside at any time of day or night is like playing Russian Roulette. Cats don't only mate at night between certain hours--they can "do it" 24/7 and she will continue to come into heat every few weeks until she gets pregnant. Call local shelters to ask if they know of any low-cost (or free) spay/neuter program and sign up.