Smoky

human vs cat insulin

My cat has diabetes and we are trying to save her. My daughter is also diabetic and she takes Novolin ge 30/70 insulin. Can the cat take a smaller amount of that and be ok?

Asked by Smoky on Jan 22nd 2009 in Diabetes

Best Answer

Jester (1988-2007)

When Jester had diabetes the vet prescribed a cat specific insulin but I've heard other people say that their vet's prescribed Humalog which is the same insulin I take for my diabetes. As long as your vet agrees that Smoky can use the same insulin and confirms what the correct dose should be you can use the same supplies.

As long as your daughter has a newer blood glucose tester/strips that only require a small drop of blood you can also use that to test Smoky's blood sugar and cut down on the cost of tests at the vets/lab. Paw mail me if you want more info.

Jester had very mild diabetes and I found that when I swapped her from dry to wet food her blood sugar returned to normal. I'm not sure how bad his diabetes is but you could try this too.

Jester (1988-2007) answered on Jan 22nd.

Answers

Only your vet can tell you what dose she needs and if the drug is the same. Please do not mess with such a serious medication for your cat without their guidance. Almost any drug that a vet can prescribe is also available to purchase at a pharmacy with a prescription or from 1800petmeds and you can usually get it for less than the vet may charge. Most drugs are actually the same (antibiotics, valium, prozac, etc) but cats metabolize things differently and the dosing is very different. For example, the dose of valium that a 8 pound cat needs to relax would be the same for a 150 pound person. Not something anyone should try to figure out on their own.

Hunter

Your cat needs to see a vet. They will RX an appropriate insulin type and dose. You would certainly not let your child just take a random insulin without having her under the care of a physician, why would you think it's ok for you to do that to your cat. You should by now, know the seriousness of diabetes and how important regular glucose checks are. PLEASE DO NOT DOSE YOUR CAT WITH YOUR DAUGHTERS INSULIN!!! You can kill an animal with the wrong dose. See a vet asap!!!

Hunter answered on 1/22/09. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 1 Report this answer

Don't give your cat ANY medications without checking with your vet first. You wouldn't give your daughter the cat's insulin without checking with her doctor first.