How will my semi-adopted stray cat react to a new kitten?

A wild cat started coming to our house, we started feeding her and now she is very friendly and comes and goes as she pleases eats and sleeps during the day but never stays for longer than about 4-6 hours and never stays the night. she comes some times every day and then i might not see her for a day or so then shes back. she is very independent and still huntes for herself and i can go away and shes fine when we come back ect. Im really quite attatched to her now but i would also like to adopt a new kitten and am afraid it will cause the not so wild anymore cat to stop coming. Should i be worried and is there anything i can do?

Asked by Member 1125970 on Aug 16th 2012 Tagged newkitten, straycat in Other Adoption & Rescue

Answers

Before you expose the stray to a new kitten, you need to get the stray to a vet. At the least, she could have fleas or parasites, and at the worst, she could have one of the nasty kitty diseases. You don't want to expose the kitten to any of this. It's possible that the stray is someone's outdoor cat. My Ernie had his own route in my neighborhood and always came back home at night. He was vetted, neutered and micro-chipped. But in the case of your stray, I would be concerned that if she isn't spayed, you may soon have more kittens than you know what to do with, and that she may be aggressive with a kitten she sees as usurping "her" territory. And, as you wrote, she may just stop coming around. First, I would determine that this is not someone's cat. Call local vets, animal shelters, etc. and even put up posters with her photo. If no one responds, vet her. See if she's microchipped. Spay her. Once you've taken responsibiility for her, then consider adding another cat.

Tiny

LOL! Way no! Actually, the total opposite! If your "stray" is a female she will protect the kitten from other cats...maybe even you! He-He. If your "stray" is a tom he will teach the kit values of Tomhood- which is Manhood for cats! Either way, a kitten will be a great addition. Your buddy, Alley

Tiny answered on 9/13/12. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer