Nova

How to train a kitten to stay out of a certain room?

Hello, I recently adopted a five month old kitten named Nova. He's a little ball of sunshine, just as sweet as can be. But the only thing I'm worried about is keeping him out of my laundry room, I keep my cleaning products in there, plus he's already gotten behind the washer and dryer, scared me to death because there's history of rat poison being behind there, but before adopting him, I made sure there was none back there in advanced. But the fact of it still scares me. Also, what am i going to do while I'm at work? I'm just not comfortable with him in that room at all. So is there any tips anyone can give on keeping a kitten out of a certain room? If so, I'd be ever so greatful! Thanks for reading and hope to have long years with my newest member of the family, Nova! Meow~

Asked by Nova on Aug 17th 2012 Tagged kitten, laundryroom, training, tips, help in Behavior & Training

Answers

Congratulations on adopting a little boy who seems destined to be much loved! Sometimes, the best offense is a good defense. As when we have little children who like to get into things, we need to lock up the toxic stuff. I know that I will have to lock up my cupboards and I already close my bedroom/bathroom doors when my-year old grandson is "on the loose". It's easier than constantly picking him up and moving him or telling him "no-no!". That gets tiresome after a while. You can purchase a cupboard at Target or Wal-mart, "Closet Maid", I believe, with doors and handles on it that you can secure with a child safety lock. There's no way Nova could get into it. Look at your home from your cat's standpoint, even getting down on hands and knees to see what HE sees and how he sees it. Your only other option is to install a door on the laundry room and keep it closed. Good luck and purrs to your lucky little baby boy!